add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Welcome to Cycling Builder!

philip

7 months ago

Hi everyone!

Today I'm happy to announce the launch of Cycling Builder!

A few years ago we decided to start development on a site dedicated to cycling enthusiasts and do-it-yourself bicycle builders. Cycling Builder provides component selection, pricing, and compatibility guidance. Pick your parts, build your bike, and we’ll show you where to find the cheapest prices while checking that everything will work together.

Cycling Builder is an offshoot of PCPartPicker, a similar site for do-it-yourself computer builders. We felt that the process of building a computer shared a lot with building a bike, albeit with vastly different product attributes and compatibility constraints. After a lot of iteration we’re ready to open it up for people to test out. I’m glad you’re here, and I’d love to get your thoughts on what we’ve done so far.

As with many sites, Cycling Builder is a work in progress. We’re continually adding new components to our database, but if you don’t find something you want to use let us know and we’ll prioritize getting it added in. There are a bit over 6,000 parts in the database, and we have several thousand more in the queue getting added as fast as we can.

Like PCPartPicker, Cycling Builder provides compatibility guidance. We'll make sure the wheelset fits your frame, the drivetrain components work together, etc. The compatibility checking automatically limits component selection as you choose parts, making the selection process quicker and simpler. While we aren’t able to check every aspect of a build, we are able to factor in many tedious and sometimes challenging areas like bottom brackets and drivetrains. There are areas that we’re overly cautious (such as cross-manufacturer and mixed-speed shifting), and other areas we aren’t able to cover well (such as chainstay / crank clearance). We’ll continue to iterate on it, improve it, and dial it in.

For everyone who as asked us about this site and when it would be ready, I greatly appreciate your patience. It has been in development for a long time, but the day is finally here to open it up for people to play with. I hope you like it and find it useful!

Cheers,
Philip

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 5 points

Congrats on the hard work finally paying off. I'd ask if this means you won't be quite as busy now, but I know you still have lots to do.

We appreciate everything you do for the part picking (both PC and bicycle community) immensely.

u da best :D

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

hi cicero!

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi?

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

It's as if you knew I was searching for a bike-nuilder edition of PCPartPicker Thank U :)

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Very stoked for this. Thanks for the invite. Looking forward to seeing this site grow.

P.S. (Yay first response every on the site?)

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm a huge fan of PCPartPicker, and I can't wait to have a list of all my bikes in my flair on reddit. Thank you so much for your hard work, Philip.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your work Philip! When you buy a part through a link provided by this site, will it donate to Charity:Water the same way PCPP did?

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Yep. Exact same way. (And the same for future yet-to-be-named PCPartPicker Network sites as well.)

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

What are the plans for more networks sites? I'm curious to see what other building communities i could delve in to.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Custom . . . chairs? idk

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

Custom cars seems like a legit thing, tbh. I could totally see something like that taking off.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

This is amazing! Thanks for setting it up! I'd love to see track frames on here so that I can custom build a fixie. It would also be good to see more frames in the 48cm to 49cm range so that I can build a bike for my partner. Thanks again!

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I feel special being one of the first on this site... I think I'll stick to PC's though lol

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Up next in the PCPP Network: Laptop Part Picker!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube