add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
neogrotesque

2 months ago

First off, I just wanted to express how awesome it is that my favourite PC building resource is getting into my other favourite hobby! You guys changed the game for PC building and hopefully will do the same in cycling. The interface is awesome and I'm excited to see how the UI updates here translate to PCPP.

I have various little bits of feedback here just upon first use of the site which I suspect is still very much in beta.

Tire compatibility would be killer to have, and I'm sure this is already on your roadmap - select a TL/TLR wheel, see only clincher/TL compatible tires, and be able to further filter to see TL only, etc. Or grab tubular wheels, see only tubular tires, etc. Right now, I actually tried speccing a 27.5 wheel with a 700x25 tire and compatibility didn't pull up any flags.

Groupset functionality - the part by part functionality is sweet if you want to get super granular for niche builds, but it would be sweet if you could also specify a group or mini group to auto-populate all the relevant fields from shifters to brakes, derailleurs, crank, etc. since most users would probably be going the groupset route anyways.

Power meters! A niche inclusion to be sure and a minefield for compatibility but that would be great - maybe even being able to filter by crankarm length.

Responsive UI - absolutely stoked for this to migrate back to PCPP. Noticed some categories not showing up on mobile (most notably almost the whole cockpit section).

Filtering section UI might need a bit of tightening - having the top hamburger icon change to an X is disconcerting as it makes me feel like I'm leaving the build. I think the filter area should certainly have its own header below the top nav. I also think an 'apply' button would help at the bottom of the filter list would help here, even if its only functionality is to hide the filter UI. Perhaps it's the colour, too - I think using the dark top nav background as the filtering background makes it feel like I'm navigating elsewhere, especially since that's exactly what the main nav does.

Read another feedback thread, stoked to see there's a completed builds area in progress. Pedalroom has been alone in this segment for far too long and it's a stagnant horribly unresponsive site - you guys have the potential to turn this space upside down.

Despite all these things, I understand it's a work in progress. What a wonderful foundation for the site though and I'm incredibly excited to see how it continues to develop. Great potential for a really powerful tool here. Fantastic start guys and thanks for all your hard work on both this and PCPP!

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the great feedback!

Tire compatibility would be killer to have, and I'm sure this is already on your roadmap - select a TL/TLR wheel, see only clincher/TL compatible tires, and be able to further filter to see TL only, etc. Or grab tubular wheels, see only tubular tires, etc. Right now, I actually tried speccing a 27.5 wheel with a 700x25 tire and compatibility didn't pull up any flags.

Hmmm, tire compatibility is implemented (well, a first pass anyway). It should be properly filtering tire type by the wheelset support (TL, TLR, clincher, etc.) . Similarly, we only match up tires that share the same ISO diameter so a 27.5" shouldn't have paired up with a 700c. Though a 700c with a 29" would match ISO diameter-wise. We also threw in a rough first pass at width compatibility by checking the sizes against the ETRTO table. If you see a tire that is an obvious mismatch (like a 700c for a 27.5" wheel) let me know and I'll take a look. The one possible gotcha I can think where we'd show that is if the 27.5" wheel was front-only and the tire selected was for the rear (without a rear wheel in the part list).

Groupset functionality - the part by part functionality is sweet if you want to get super granular for niche builds, but it would be sweet if you could also specify a group or mini group to auto-populate all the relevant fields from shifters to brakes, derailleurs, crank, etc. since most users would probably be going the groupset route anyways.

Oh definitely. We had started down the groupset route about a year ago but decided to postpone it to get the site released. We were well behind and there were some technical challenges with them that I punted on. A couple weeks ago I started working on the groupset code again, and I think the challenges we ran into are no longer an issue - we ended up having to solve most of them for other areas anyway. I'm guessing maybe a month or two and they should start showing up as an option in the part list. Especially since the new SRAM eTap AXS setups seem to only show up online as groupsets.

Power meters! A niche inclusion to be sure and a minefield for compatibility but that would be great - maybe even being able to filter by crankarm length.

Crank arm length filters are in, but yeah power meters are certainly on the roadmap. I'll have to have our in-house cycling expert bring me up to speed on them because I'm not foo familiar with them. Hopefully those won't be too bad to fit in. On a related note though, I could see those getting added along with computers and related electronic gear.

Responsive UI - absolutely stoked for this to migrate back to PCPP. Noticed some categories not showing up on mobile (most notably almost the whole cockpit section).

Glad you like the layout! The cockpit section should be there on mobile - it's just below the fold so you have to scroll to get it. I might reorganize the order of the groups a bit though.

Filtering section UI might need a bit of tightening - having the top hamburger icon change to an X is disconcerting as it makes me feel like I'm leaving the build.

Ah yeah I can totally see what you mean. I'll chat with our design guys about that.

I think the filter area should certainly have its own header below the top nav. I also think an 'apply' button would help at the bottom of the filter list would help here, even if its only functionality is to hide the filter UI. Perhaps it's the colour, too - I think using the dark top nav background as the filtering background makes it feel like I'm navigating elsewhere, especially since that's exactly what the main nav does.

Totally makes sense.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube