add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cycling Builder - Consummer or Enthusiast

SytherTyler

2 months ago

Accidentally clicked on Philip's profile and found a link to CB when I thought it was still in development. I got kind of excited because I need a new bike, my old one has some rust on it because I hadn't used it in a year. So I started to use the bike builder and then realized a frame alone costed anywhere from ~750 to a few thousand. So I assume CB is geared towards die hard enthusiasts or professionals because even when picking the cheapest parts possible (not even sure if they work because I don't know much about bikes) it cost 2500. 2500 What you ask, well I'm not sure. Might be CAD, might be USD, I don't know. For me building my own bike really isn't viable right now, I think the market for it is still really niche and just isn't widely accessible, there's just no real reason to build one as opposed to going into a store and buying one for a few hundred.

Hopefully it's just that the more consumer based parts haven't been added yet. Which makes sense since some categories don't have any products yet. On the home screen there's a nice effect that moves when you scroll except that there's this one part that moves really weirdly, maybe it's just me. Finally, the message guidelines located on the left should be updated as there's still a message saying "No piracy or key resellers" I don't think it applies to bikes lol.

But it's great to see that you're expanding into other DIY markets, keep up the nice work. If I notice anything else I'll either update the post or make a new one.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the feedback! Right now the prices are in USD because we've only exposed the US-version of the site. Other countries will get supported here pretty soon with UK likely to be the first.

On expensive pricing - indeed, cycling is an expensive niche for the high-end equipment. We focused on the mid-to-high range in a lot of areas, and will be filling in the lower end components with time. Once you get below a certain budget range though, more people buy prebuilt than building themselves. For PC hardware at least, that price point of when to go prebuilt vs DIY is a lot lower.

(The link on piracy in the rules should be fixed too... doh)

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I love it how so many things are still straight just ported from PC Part Picker. These comments about re-discovering parts of the site are gems.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube