add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

A few problems I've noticed

abattlescar

1 month ago

These are all just little things that I think would make the experience better for most users.

1. No selection for rear shocks. Nor any information on what shock a frame comes with. This makes it very confusing, as even checking the frame's website doesn't always have the exact information.

2. Lots of missing prices. Especially for Fox forks. It might be nice to have an estimate based on the MSRP. It might help if more dealers are included as well.

3. Where are the reviews? Even I, as a bike nerd who's worked in a bike shop and reads pinkbike for 4 hours a day, get frustrated scrolling through the parts without a lick of sense.

4. A few big brands are missing. What about Campy?

5. We need more information or guides for newbies. Basic stuff that most of us wouldn't even think of; frame size for example, or brand guides.

I'm a little nitpicky with a lot of these, and I think a few of them are already getting fixes.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the feedback!

• 1) On no selection for rear shocks: We store off that data when available, so I'll make sure that gets exposed in the frame filters. It does get listed in the product page specs, but that doesn't help a lot if you're browsing the list of frames.
  • 2) On missing prices: We're working to get pricing more populated. One of the major retailers recently changed affiliate networks. Their old price feed went stale for a month, and the new price feed does not have the same information. It's missing some things we need to track prices properly. We've reached out to them and are hoping to get that resolved soon. It seems that cycling component price feeds are much harder to get than PC components (kinda makes sense), but we're going to keep trying regardless. MSRP is definitely something I want to add - on PC it's not as important but for cycling it makes a lot of sense. The main sticking point design-wise is how to display MSRP when you're looking at it from a different currency. I.e. if the MSRP is defined in USD, but the user browses from Germany, do we display as USD, convert to Euro, etc. Still working through those minor details.
  • 3) On reviews: We allow reviews in the context of a "completed build" only, similar to what we do on pcpartpicker. However, we haven't implemented the completed build section for cycling yet. That's coming soon. I suspect it'll take a while to build up a user-submitted pool of builds to source review data from, but it has to start somewhere. (Quick note - we anchor reviews to completed builds to prevent spam/abuse, and also to provide more context for what else the component was being used with.)
  • 4) On big brands missing. There are some Campy components in right now, but not a lot. There's a backlog that we're working through - I'd say about 4-5,000 parts to add. We brought on a new person to help populate the database, and we take user's feedback on what to add as the top priority. Right now most of it has been going into MTB components, but if there are specific areas you'd like to see filled out let us know and we'll hop on it.
  • 5) On more info or guides: We're porting over our guide code from pcpartpicker, and hope to list guides soon.

Again, thanks for the feedback! As some of these things get implemented, I'll make sure to post updates in the announcements/site-news forum area.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Wow, your team is doing awesome. Keep up the good work.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube