add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Would love to customize and then outsource the 'build' part! Can you help?

klane
  • 8 days ago

I'm an experienced recreational cyclist - mountain, road, century rides, etc. Family gaining interest too, but in COVID times, really tough to find bikes these days. I'm looking to upgrade my son and husband to better mountain bikes, but having a hard time finding many options. In addition, my 10yr old is all about customizing everything - scooter, skateboard, bikes. He'd love the idea of this. However, I have no experience in building a bike and little confidence in my ability to do so. Is it possible to 'build a bike' here and have a local bike shop build it for me by shipping the parts there? Or through your forum, find local experts that might be able to do it for a fee? Love the idea of this platform. Also, should I decide to tackle the build on my own, is there a forum here with advice should I run into a problem? Haven't seen that yet in the little digging around I did.
Thanks.

Comments

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

Hey there! Where are you located? I'm based out of Sacramento area in CA, so of you are close I could help you with building a bike up. I have about 4 years of experience building bicycles from the frame up.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

Hi! Thanks for the reply. I'm actually in Chicago. Appreciate the offer though!

• 5 days ago
  • 1 point

klane,

Welcome to the site and thank you for the feedback. Yes, its very possible to 'build' your bike here with our tool and then deliver the parts to your local bike shop for a build-up. Most shops have a stated service for this type of work because its not uncommon. Another benefit to having a shop do the build-up is that they may be able to give you feedback on initial fit if desired.

Another option could be to use a mobile service such as Velofix. www.velofix.com They are a nationwide company that provides a wide variety of 'shop services' at your doorstep. They've been highly utilized in our region by some of my riding friends who have wanted 'contactless work' done during this Covid time. I don't know for sure if they are in your area, but I do know that they have an option for a frame-up build service. https://www.velofix.com/services/build/

Building it yourself is another option. Its a very rewarding process and the feeling of accomplishment that you get from actually riding something that you put together is great. There is nothing currently onsite that actually guides the process, but I know that the greater cycling community is very supportive. If you ran into issues, we all would be willing to help with guidance. Our desire here at CyclingBuilder would be to post up our own build videos/content featuring bikes formulated with our bike-builder tool. However, more immediate resources could be found on the Park Tools and GCN youtube channels.

Thanks again, CBaron

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube